Wife's right on ancestral property which is now on in laws name

Dated: 2022-06-25 10:52:40

Hi .. Please provide infor if wife have rights on husbands ancestral property as they married with dowry intentions n when they failed now they want to gI've divorce. Please tell me what rights I have?do I have rights on ancestral property as what if it is now on d name of in laws coz they have well planned n kept nothing on my husbands name n have kept it on their name or my husbands sisters name.

Answers by Lawyers

As of today the legal position is that Wife doesn't have a right on ancestral property of husband. Except in case of joint property of husband and wife she cannot claim a share in the property of her husband in divorce case. If she wants a separate residence than depending on husband's income and property the court may order husband to rent or buy a flat for the wife in case of Domestic Violence.

M R Neelakantam Advocate

Dear client u can ask share in husband share which he will get after partition of property. U can also file for civil maintenance. Once court will grant u civil maintenance yr name will add in property card and yr in laws can not selk the property. For any legal help call me

Adv prasad patil

M R Neelakantam Advocate
Can I register a complaint in consumer court in India without a lawyer?
Can I register a complaint in consumer court in India without a lawyer?
What are some basic things I should know about acquring Indian Citizenship before acquiring the same.
A friend of mine wants to acquire Indian Citizenship. Could you just provide us an outline of the Indian Citizenship.
What to do when Police refuses to register your FIR?
Police has refused to register my FIR. I have approached the higher authorities of police, but no action is taken. Plz advise.
After the demise of my father, someone suggested me to obtain a legal heir certificate but I am not well versed with the proper procedure, nor do I know who has the right to obtain this certificate. Please help me in this regard.
What are the grounds avaliable for me to seek a divorce
My wife is not ready for a divorce by mutual consent. She is also not residing in the house. Can it be a ground to seek a divorce.


The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at GetLaw.in and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at GetLaw.in to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at GetLaw.in or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyerserser of your choice to address your query in detail.