What is the procedure to lodge a complaint of corruption?

Dated: 2024-06-20 14:22:52

What is the procedure to lodge a complaint of corruption?

Answers by Lawyers

In India, you can file corruption complaints with the Central Vigilance Commission(CVC) and the Central Bureau of Investigation. CVC is the ‘Designated Agency’ which receive written complaints about revealing any allegation of corruption or misuse of office and suggest suitable action.


The jurisdiction of the Commission in this matter is restricted to any employee of the Central Government or of any firm/corporation established by or under any Central Act, societies or local authorities owned or controlled by the Central Government or government companies. Organization or employees employed by the State Governments and actions of the State Governments or its organization/Corporations etc. will not come under the ambit of the Commission.


The Commission can only take cognizance of signed complaints i.e. it does not act on complaints that are anonymous. Although it provides protection to the complainant by keeping his identity a secret under the the Public Interest Disclosure and Protection of Informer (PIDPI) Resolution (PIDPI). Mere complaining is not enough; the complainant has to put his case forward and coordinate with the CVC and if the complainant doesn’t respond to the CVC his complaint will be dealt as an anonymous one and therefore no action would be taken.


You can complain via a letter or email.  You can also register your complaint online. The commission in its full capacity will try to protect the identity of the person but in case of any clarification the commission will get in touch with the complaint


Then, there is the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). The CVC conducts its investigation through this body. But the CBI also accepts complaints independently.

You can complain by fax, post, e-mail, through a phone call, and even on the CBI website.

Also, each state has its own Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB). It has their jurisdiction restricted to their respective states and they only register or accepts complaints against employees of State Government.

Minal B Khona
Can I register a complaint in consumer court in India without a lawyer?
Can I register a complaint in consumer court in India without a lawyer?
What to do when Police refuses to register your FIR?
Police has refused to register my FIR. I have approached the higher authorities of police, but no action is taken. Plz advise.
What are some basic things I should know about acquring Indian Citizenship before acquiring the same.
A friend of mine wants to acquire Indian Citizenship. Could you just provide us an outline of the Indian Citizenship.
After the demise of my father, someone suggested me to obtain a legal heir certificate but I am not well versed with the proper procedure, nor do I know who has the right to obtain this certificate. Please help me in this regard.
What are the grounds avaliable for me to seek a divorce
My wife is not ready for a divorce by mutual consent. She is also not residing in the house. Can it be a ground to seek a divorce.


The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at GetLaw.in and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at GetLaw.in to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at GetLaw.in or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyerserser of your choice to address your query in detail.