What is the procedure for filing complaint against Medical Negligence?

Dated: 2020-09-17 18:10:59

What is the procedure for filing complaint against Medical Negligence?

Answers by Lawyers

What is Medical Negligence?

“Negligence” can be described as the failure by a person(mostly a doctor) to exercise a duty of care towards another person. In general, negligence has three ingredients:

  1. A person owes a duty of care to another person.
  2. He has breached that duty.
  3. Another person has suffered some form of injury due to this breach of duty.


Steps to be followed for filing Medical Negligence case 

I. An initial step by a victim of medical negligence is to file a Complaint against the doctor with the State Medical Council. The victim has a choice between filing a complaint in the State Consumer court or filing a criminal suit against the hospital or the doctor himself.


  • In the event, if the primary motive of the patient is to seek a monetary compensation, then he/she should file a complaint in the Consumer Court, so that the case can be disposed off at the earliest. In any case, victim ought to likewise remember that, if the complaint is against the hospital, he/she can appeal at the national level which means the case might get stuck for few years.


II. Another step which can be considered under medical negligence case is going to a Patient-Advocate. A Patient-Advocate conveys a medical duty which was  owed to the patient itself.

  • If there is any breach done against the patients, a Patient-Advocate has the obligation to convey to the patients regarding the necessary steps that ought to be taken to resolve the issue.
  • The Patient-Advocate will likewise assist the patient with knowing whether he should feel that there ought to be compensation provided due to the particular medical negligence.


III. On the other side, a victim can file for medical negligence from the perspective of a consumer and can go under the Consumer Protection Act, 1986, which is more likely to yield results as opposed to going under the IPC and criminal case way.

  • A complaint can be filed in the District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum if the value of services and compensation claimed is less than 20 lakh rupees, or before the State Commission, if the value does not exceed more than 1 crore rupees. If, however, the value of the goods or services and the compensation exceeds more than 1 crore rupees, the National Commission is to be approached.


Step-wise Procedure for filing complaint with the Council

  • Firstly, a victim should file a complaint with local police and State Medical Council.
  • The police can forward the report to the State Medical Council also, if the complaint is only filed with the police.
  • If the victim is dissatisfied with the decision of the council, he or she can appeal to the Medical Council of India.
  • The complainant (if seeking for monetary compensation) can seek the help from consumer courts, as stated above (it should be kept in mind that the consumer courts can only give remedy as compensation and it does not have the right to punish the doctor or the hospital).
  • After this, if the complainant is unhappy or not satisfied with the decision of the consumer court, he can again appeal to the National Consumer Dispute Redressal Forum. The victim can also go to the Supreme Court further.
Minal B Khona
How to file for contested divorce?
My husband cheated on me several times , registering on matrimony profile and contacting girls as if he is not married. When i found out his wrong doings he says he will divorce me.I am not willing to give consent. Can divorce be obtained without mutual consent.? How long will it take?
What are the factors to be considered before giving the custody and are the Hindu Laws different from Muslim Laws in case of child custody?
What to do when Police refuses to register your FIR?
Police has refused to register my FIR. I have approached the higher authorities of police, but no action is taken. Plz advise.
Wife's right on ancestral property which is now on in laws name
Hi .. Please provide infor if wife have rights on husbands ancestral property as they married with dowry intentions n when they failed now they want to gI've divorce. Please tell me what rights I have?do I have rights on ancestral property as what if it is now on d name of in laws coz they have well planned n kept nothing on my husbands name n have kept it on their name or my husbands sisters name.
My neighbour locks the door, which is the only way I can enter my house.
My house is located behind another house. There is only one way to enter my house and that is through a narrow alley. there is a get at the start of the alley. neighbor locks the door at 11 pm. What legal action should/can I take.


The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at GetLaw.in and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at GetLaw.in to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at GetLaw.in or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyerserser of your choice to address your query in detail.