How to file for contested divorce?

Dated: 2024-07-18 02:03:01

My husband cheated on me several times , registering on matrimony profile and contacting girls as if he is not married. When i found out his wrong doings he says he will divorce me.I am not willing to give consent. Can divorce be obtained without mutual consent.? How long will it take?

Answers by Lawyers

Yes, he can obtain divorce by citing valid ground, at the same time he is ought to pay maintenance for you and your children. It'll take at least one year to get final order of divorce in contested cases.

M R Neelakantam Advocate

Find out if there are any other pending cases as against your Husband on the ground of cheating ..collate it and file as evidence as defendant ., 

If he files a divorce petition, there must be a valid ground to prove.. as against you 
It may take 1-1.5 years for judgment

M R Neelakantam Advocate


M R Neelakantam Advocate
Can I register a complaint in consumer court in India without a lawyer?
Can I register a complaint in consumer court in India without a lawyer?
What to do when Police refuses to register your FIR?
Police has refused to register my FIR. I have approached the higher authorities of police, but no action is taken. Plz advise.
What are some basic things I should know about acquring Indian Citizenship before acquiring the same.
A friend of mine wants to acquire Indian Citizenship. Could you just provide us an outline of the Indian Citizenship.
After the demise of my father, someone suggested me to obtain a legal heir certificate but I am not well versed with the proper procedure, nor do I know who has the right to obtain this certificate. Please help me in this regard.
What are the grounds avaliable for me to seek a divorce
My wife is not ready for a divorce by mutual consent. She is also not residing in the house. Can it be a ground to seek a divorce.


The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyerserser of your choice to address your query in detail.