What is the essential to charge a public servant for corruption and what is the law for paying bribe?

Dated: 2020-04-01 15:33:13

What is the essential to charge a public servant for corruption and what is the law for paying bribe?

Answers by Lawyers

Dishonest intention of the public servant has to be proved in order to charge him for corruption. However, where a public servant has accumulated assets beyond the means of his known source of income, he can be prosecuted under the Act though in such a case the question of proving dishonest intention gets diluted.


In the wake up of series of corruption in India, the Government of India has passed many laws to prevent corruption. Some of the major laws for keeping a check on corruption are:

  • Indian Penal Code, 1860 (Sec 166, 171B, Sec 409, Sec 169)
  • Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988 (Sec 2, Sec 7, Sec 13, Sec 19)
  • Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002
  • Right to Information Act, 2005
  • Central Vigilance Commission Act, 2003
  • Whistleblowers Protection Act, 2011


Paying bribe is an offence and is punishable from imprisonment of not less than six months which may extend to five years along with fine. However the complainant is given protection from being prosecuted. Most of the ministries and departments have Central Vigilance Officers to look after the complaints.

Minal B Khona
How to file for contested divorce?
My husband cheated on me several times , registering on matrimony profile and contacting girls as if he is not married. When i found out his wrong doings he says he will divorce me.I am not willing to give consent. Can divorce be obtained without mutual consent.? How long will it take?
Wife's right on ancestral property which is now on in laws name
Hi .. Please provide infor if wife have rights on husbands ancestral property as they married with dowry intentions n when they failed now they want to gI've divorce. Please tell me what rights I have?do I have rights on ancestral property as what if it is now on d name of in laws coz they have well planned n kept nothing on my husbands name n have kept it on their name or my husbands sisters name.
What to do when Police refuses to register your FIR?
Police has refused to register my FIR. I have approached the higher authorities of police, but no action is taken. Plz advise.
My neighbour locks the door, which is the only way I can enter my house.
My house is located behind another house. There is only one way to enter my house and that is through a narrow alley. there is a get at the start of the alley. neighbor locks the door at 11 pm. What legal action should/can I take.
What are the factors to be considered before giving the custody and are the Hindu Laws different from Muslim Laws in case of child custody?


The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at GetLaw.in and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at GetLaw.in to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at GetLaw.in or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyerserser of your choice to address your query in detail.