My neighbour locks the door, which is the only way I can enter my house.

Dated: 2024-06-20 14:22:51

My house is located behind another house. There is only one way to enter my house and that is through a narrow alley. there is a get at the start of the alley. neighbor locks the door at 11 pm. What legal action should/can I take.

Answers by Lawyers

It is suggested that you explain your neighbour that you have a right to use the way through the alley, since it is the only way. This right to you is granted by the Indian easements Act.

According to Section 4 of the Indian Easement Act, 1882 defines it as follows: “An easement is a right which the owner or occupier of certain land possesses, as such, for the beneficial enjoyment of that land, to do and continue to do something, or to prevent and continue to prevent something being done, in or upon, or in respect of certain other land not his own.” 

The doctrine of easement of neccessity can be used to your benefit here. A calin under this will be succesful as the land is “absolutely inaccessible or useless” without the easement.


Moreover it is to be noted that right to way is one of the basic rights guaranteed by the Indian Easements Act.So you can consult a practising lawyer and take a legal action againest that person.

Krishnaveni Advocate
Can I register a complaint in consumer court in India without a lawyer?
Can I register a complaint in consumer court in India without a lawyer?
What to do when Police refuses to register your FIR?
Police has refused to register my FIR. I have approached the higher authorities of police, but no action is taken. Plz advise.
What are some basic things I should know about acquring Indian Citizenship before acquiring the same.
A friend of mine wants to acquire Indian Citizenship. Could you just provide us an outline of the Indian Citizenship.
After the demise of my father, someone suggested me to obtain a legal heir certificate but I am not well versed with the proper procedure, nor do I know who has the right to obtain this certificate. Please help me in this regard.
What are the grounds avaliable for me to seek a divorce
My wife is not ready for a divorce by mutual consent. She is also not residing in the house. Can it be a ground to seek a divorce.


The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyerserser of your choice to address your query in detail.